Zeel Desai is only 19 years of age but is already mature enough to handle the pressure of the Women international tennis circuit . The teenager from Gujarat who is currently ranked 659 on the WTA has already charted her plans for bigger dreams to be fulfilled.
In a quick chat with her, I get to know the various aspects of life of this young tennis player.
1. First Encounter With Tennis – At 6 Years of age.
2. Current Coach and Academy – Todd Clark and Ahmedabad Racquet Academy
Also Read : Todd Clark, Tennis Director of Ahmedabad Racquet Academy and Coach of Zeel Desai is nurturing future Indian tennis stars
3. Biggest Motivation – Attaining fame.
4. Role Model – Roger Federer.
Zeel Desai in action – A star in the making
5. Game Style – Changes according to the opponent.
6. Strength – Ground strokes
7. Things she would like to improve – Variations like the drop shot and slice.
8. Short Term & Long Term Goal – To reach top 300 by end of 2018 ; To play Grand Slams.
9. Seniors she takes tips from – Ankita Raina. We often talk on social media as well as most of the time she is on travel.
10. Views on Ahmedabad Racquet Academy – Good tennis facility, coaching and fitness centre.
11. Favourite moments on court – Commonwealth Youth Games 2017, Bahamas where I won 2 Gold Medals.
12. Best friend in the circuit – No best friends. All are good friends.All are competitors in tennis (as she 😊)
13. Favourite Grand Slam – Wimbledon and Australian Open.
14. Travelling Partners on tour – Mom, Dad and Coach.
Parents are her travelling partners on the tour
15. Diet – Strict diet with no junk food allowed to eat. Sometimes cheat on my favourite Italian Pizza.
16. Training Schedule –
- Morning – 1 hour of fitness and 2 hours of tennis.
- Evening – 2 hours of tennis.
17. Sponsors –
- Tennis Expenses -Sports Authority of Gujarat (SAG) and Vedna Foundation.
- Racquet Sponsor – Head
- Apparel – Adidas
Author`s Take – She is only 19 years and has a good future. Importantly she has the right support system in terms of a good training academy, coach, sponsors and her supportive parents. That gives the right ingredients for Zeel to develop into a good tennis player in the coming years.