The last couple of months have been quite exciting for Indian tennis. Ramkumar Ramanathan beat world no 8 Dominic Thiem to reach the quarters of the 250 series Antalya Open. Yuki Bhambri has beaten the defending champion Gael Monfils in the 500 series Citi / Washington Open and also went onto reach the quarter final. On the women`s front Ankita Raina is the lone player fighting it out.
Now lets have a look at the future of Indian tennis in terms of the kids off the block. Here is the top 5 pick:
1. Sumit Nagal: The junior Wimbledon champion is now into the pro circuit as a regular. He has by now showed his flare in the futures. In the challengers too he has beaten a couple of players inside 150. Now he has to slowly make the transition to the challengers and start getting into business end of the tourneys.
Age : 19 years
Ranking : 304
Immediate Goal / Prediction: To play and do well in challengers and hit inside 220 by Feb`18
2. Karman Kaur Thandi: This tall girl has the game to take her to the next level. Importantly she also has the right training at the Mourtaglo Tennis Academy. She is starting to do well in the Futures tourney and has also beaten a top 150 player a few weeks back.
Age: 19 years
Immediate Goal / Prediction: To start winning Futures for the next 8-9 months. To aim for inside top 270 by Feb`18
3. Zeel Desai : Zeel has shown her potential in the Junior Australian Open and Wimbledon. With a better game she can make it to the next level. Now is the crucial time of making the transition from juniors to seniors and she needs to work hard on her game.
Age: 18 years Ranking:690
Immediate Goal / Prediction: To start playing futures on a regular basis and make her game bigger. Still needs to work on her overall game. To aim for inside top 500 by April`18.
4. Pranjala Yadlapalli: Pranjala in recent times dipped has in her ranking a bit because of lack of enough tournaments. But now she is back in the ITF Futures circuit. Needs to play more and get the right training.
Age: 18 years Ranking: 784 Immediate Goal / Prediction: Play more ITF futures and aim for inside top 550 by April`18.
5. Adil Kalyanpur: A dark horse for me who has the potential. Currently with Rafa Nadal Academy he has the best of coaches and hitting partners. He is tall and is well supported by his parents. He has the right platform to do well in the years to come.
Age: 17 years Ranking: UNR Immediate Goal / Prediction: Play more ITF futures and aim to be inside 700 by Sept`18.